Empunya Blog

My photo
Selangor, Malaysia
Tidak liberal. Tidak radikal. Cuma sederhana/average/moderate. Di tengah-tengah. Tu sebab selalu stuck.

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

A Day in a Life of a Colour Blind

It has been some while since I last posted in English. Fully. Mostly I wrote in rojak. Pffft. As if rojak is now an official language. So okay, I'll make this one in English. Fully.

SO! I went to PD (Port Dickson, mind you) for Bengkel Transisi Menuju Kecemerlangan Persatuan/Kelab Pelajar last weekend. In short, it is some sort of like a recruitment camp for Faculty of Science. Looking out for students for them to recruit as a kick-start to plan activities for this next two semester. Yeah, so I was one of the lucky ones. Lucky, in terms of lucky... Lucky... lucky.. Yucky.. 

Whatever, I took it as a challenge and as a compliment. I looked at it as a token that the faculty DOES recognize me as one of its precious students. Literally. Haha. 

Well, as usual, I am always being me in any camps. This one is not an exception. I really enjoy living up to my name! Hamizah is a really strong name. You really need to have character in order to make this Hamizah personality work out. So I was really enjoying myself, I mean like, camp in PD man! During the kayaking activity, it was heaven of a fun! Before this I usually kayak in lakes, you know, there's not much challenge in there, it's just a suitable place for you to sprint. But to kayak in the sea! Woah! It was seriously thrilling and fun! What, with all the waves and the sun. Oh I wish to do that again someday some-sea. Hehe.

Despite me being all darker (the face only, pfft, effect of having too much time out in the sea), and despite the truth that we were a little bit 'tricked' and 'trapped' into the Bengkel, I would like to share a story about a guy I befriend with in this camp. Let's call him Fadzil. 

Well, Fadzil seems to be like your average guy, the nerd of the Math Department (he's in Al-Biruni, so he must be genius!), and the type who always stuck their nose in front of their calculator. Not much of a talker, likes to eat greens and not that lively, like me. Geddit?

So the ice-breaking session went well. Everyone knows everyone on the surface. It was on the second evening that we did a light activity of simple games (turns out to be heavy with laughter!), that we really know how each other is when they are all agitated. Well, I am to be found guilty here, as I was the one who came up with those cracked-up games. Oh, well. I like to see people enjoying themselves. :)

It was that evening that Fadzil made a statement that he was colour blind. At first he said in one blow of a short breath, so not everyone catched what he said. Those who sit next to him could hear it, and that was me. So at dinner, I asked him about his 'specialty'. Then only everyone joined the conversation and we all know now the fact that he is really indeed colour blind.

Being fascinated to know someone who is colour blind (its so fascinating as if we found a landmine!), we asked him a little bit too much silly questions. 
"What is the colour of my watch?"
"What is the colour of her shirt?"
"What is the colour of that ulam?"
"What is the colour of my tudung?"
"So you can't drive?"
"How do you know you are colour-blind?"
And many more..



But it was good to see that he didn't get bored with our boring questions. He answered all of our questions, relentlessly. I guess, he must really get used to it. You know, like every time a new friend knows something wonderful/weird/out of the ordinary about you, they tend to ask you continuous questions about this something, from A to Z. So I was quite taken aback at how he answered them coolly.

Why was I taken aback? Because, there are some people who count themselves as unfortunates, even if only because they are colour blind. Sometimes, they snap back to people who ask them questions. Yeah, I know it was the puzzled people to be blamed too, because they asked too much question. But then, it's like giving lost people some direction. People asked things because they are interested to know it better. So that they may understand better. Unfortunately, some of the people who becomes the subject may not like it because of their mentality that the questions are as like to jeer them. 

This Fadzil guy, however, is being really positive over it. Even if we asked him at odd times, he would still answer it. For instance, on the way back from PD to UPM, I asked him in the bus what was the colour of my cardigan and scarf. He answered that my cardigan was grey (which is true) and my scarf was green (which is actually orange). 

This encounter with Fadzil made me more sensitive towards the people around me. Not everyone is the same as we thought they would be. As I got back home, I searched about colourblindness on the net. There are some facts that I got:

1)
Colorblindness is almost always a hereditary condition. Red-green colorblindness is a recessive condition passed on the X chromosome. Only one healthy color vision gene is necessary to provide color vision. Since boys have only one X chromosome, it is much easier for them to be colorblind. If their mothers are carriers (having one normal X chromosome and one colorblind X chromosome), the sons have a 50% chance of having the condition. Red-green colorblindness occurs in about 8 per cent of American males. These men cannot pass the condition on to their sons (since they give their sons a Y, not an X, chromosome), but they will pass the gene to their daughters.

2)
All girls whose fathers are colorblind will at least carry the gene for colorblindness. In order for a girl to actually be red-green colorblind, she must have a mother who is a carrier or colorblind AND a father who is colorblind. This happens in only about 0.64 percent of American girls (although these numbers vary considerably in other population groups).

3)
We humans are all born colorblind! The cones don't begin functioning until a baby is about 4 months old. At that time the baby undergoes a gradual transformation that is as remarkable as the scene in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy leaves the black-and-white world of Kansas for the brilliant colors of Oz. About one out of 40,000 babies never develops cones, seeing only in black-and-white throughout life. This is called achromatopsia, or rod-monochromatic colorblindness.

Then I realized that what about when they surf the net? Could they see like the normal could see? I found this website, it's quite useful for web developers, I think. And for us bloggers to decorate our blog too.


Can you see this?

P/S: I am positive that he sees my blog background as orange!
P/S: His Facebook is Yellow! Cool! (Well, he saw it as yellow. But still, that's COOL!!) Kita semua punya Facebook biruuuuuuu je. Bosan.

(Huh! In the end I put a Bahasa Malaysia sentence. Fully English, fail! Rojak juge... =.=" )

2 comments:

sparkling_deepred said...

interesting. hamizah is cerdik

Mizah Adam said...

tipuuuuu~ u x habes baca pun kan??